There are various meals that can be given to kids who eat a vegetarian diet. These meals are well-balanced and have a good proportion of all the essential elements of a balanced diet. We have got some easy to make vegetarian kids meals ideas.
Finger Millet Idlis/Dosa with Coconut Chutney
Finger millet benefits weight loss as it reduces cholesterol and helps digestion. Power-house of proteins and amino acids, finger millet is an excellent option for those struggling for weight loss.
- Finger millet grains – 2 cup
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- salt – 1 tsp
- Coconut – half a cup, diced and skin removed
- 2 tbsp roasted Bengal gram
- Curry leaves
- 1 green chilly
Preparing the batter
- Soak urad dal and finger millet grains separately for minimum 3 hours or overnight.
- Grind the urad dal separately till it become fluffy and finger millet separately.
- Mix the urad dal batter and finger millet batter together with required salt.
- Let the batter ferment overnight or until it doubles in volume.
Making Finger millet Dosa and Finger millet Idli
Roll out your finger millet dosa like regular dosa in a non-stick pan without any oil. You can also make Radii dli by pouring the batter in idli molds and steaming.
Making Coconut Chutney
Grind the coconut pieces, curry leaves, 1 green chilly and roasted Bengal gram in a blender along with some water to get a smooth paste. Add some salt and a tempering of mustard seeds to get your coconut chutney.
Salads are good and fulfilling options for healthy dinners.Full of essential nutrients like choline, phosphorus, vitamin B2, magnesium, calcium, selenium, iron, pantothenic acid, protein and niacin, cabbage is also full of fiber making it a healthy choice for kids.
- Cabbage – 1/2 small (sliced)
- Carrot – 1 (shredded)
- Green Bell Pepper (capsicum) – 1/2 (sliced thinly)
- Sprouted beans and pulses – 1 cup
- Cilantro – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Almonds – 10 (chopped)
- Orange Juice – 1/2 cup
- Ginger juice – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar/ Honey – 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Mix all the vegetables in a bowl chopped in similar size.
- Combine all the ingredients for dressing.
- Pour the dressing on top of the chopped vegetables.
This lentil soup will be the favorite of your kids as it not only tastes delicious but also is easy to eat with rice or alone.
- Split lentils – 1/2 cup, rinsed (U can even use mixed lentils)
- Olive oil-1 tblsp
- Onions- 1 medium, chopped
- Garlic – 2 cloves (optional)
- Green Chilly – 1 small, finely chopped
- water – 4 cups
- salt – 1 tsp (or as needed)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- coriander seeds -1 tsp
- Peppercons – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1/4 cup
- Dry roast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns and crush them coarsely.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions, garlic and green chilly.
- Add remaining ingredients leaving out the lemon juice and bring to boil. Cover and cook for 25 minutes until the lentils are cooked.
- Puree with hand blender.
- Return the pureed mixture back to saucepan and reheat and add some lemon juice.
These are some of our options for vegetarian kids meals.